Taylor & Crawley

Established 1937

Details

Exterior Colour
Silver
Drive
Rear
Type
Race
Year
1968
Price
P.O.R.

Download PDF Factsheet

In 1968 Porsche introduced the 911 T/R in a very limited production run made available to customers looking to race or rally their 911s. Taking advantage of the low weight of the basic “T” model, 52Kg less than the “S”, Porsche homologated it with the race and rally parts from the previous year’s experimental 911 R. The T/R could be specified with almost any combination of parts to reflect the use and budget of the customer. Two engines were available; the 911S engine, 160 bhp or 180bhp with the Rally-kit, and the exotic twin-plug 906 engine. This was a full race engine with titanium internals, twin plug heads and 230 bhp.

The car was delivered ready for competition; the interior stripped of sound insulation (another 25Kg saved) and any other extraneous trim was removed. A limited slip differential was fitted along with large capacity fuel tank, oil coolers, Koni shock absorbers, front and rear anti-roll bars, ventilated brake discs, racing seats, baffled fuel tanks, twin fuel pumps etc.

Just 35 examples were built and only 3 of them right hand drive.

Chassis 11820884, a right drive T/R, was ordered by Paddy McNally and Charlie Lucas via AFN in November 1967 with the 911S Rallye-kit engine, rollcage, limited slip diff, rollbar and 100 litre fuel tank as detailed in the Werks Rekord Card. This was a race car and not road registered at the time.

As soon as they received the car in July ’68 Chris Maltin stripped and rebuilt the engine to 906 spec. McNally had ordered the car specifically for the South African Springbok Series but used races at Oulton Park and Brands Hatch for shakedown before taking it all the way to the southern hemisphere.
 

 


Request more information about this car